Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Ok, so I haven't done anything at all in this space since I got this spot in blogdom. I have had nothing to be really opinionated about... Until now.

I find that as we get more and more enmeshed in technology, the technology pisses me off.
  1. In restrooms, we give eyes and brains to our urinals. Yes, we longer have to put our hands on surfaces touched by others' unwashed hands, but can it be THAT hard to stop the darn thing from thinking I have left and flushing me as I am still standing there? And what's with the faucets that refuse to come on even when I am waving my hands franctically to catch their pea-brained attention?
  2. I was smoking on the pavement outside work the other day when we were startled with petulant shouting from near the corner trashcan. Quite shabbily-dressed, a man was rummaging through the garbage, intermittently flailing in the air while he spoke furiously and unintelligibly. I assumed he was a homeless nut and was about to turn away when the man pounced on something with a cry and victoriously held up a sheaf of paper and a can of something, crying "I got it! I got it!!" He turned and grinningly walked away. In his ear was what looked like a bluetooth device.
    I used to think that the difference between the poor and the rich people on the streets was that when they raved, they either did or didn't have a thingummabob in their ear. Now, even that line is blurring. Geez!

No comments: